While Tatum certainly can’t wait to get back to action, the Celtics likely won’t be true title contenders until 2027. By then, Tatum will be only 29 years old, one of the best players in the world, and Boston can pick up where it left off.
Time For Eagles To Give The Tush Push A Brotherly Shove Out The Door
PHILADELPHIA – The tush push is dying, at least for the Eagles. It just hasn’t been very good. The trademark play they made famous, or infamous, depending on your perspective, came into the season successfully converting 96 percent of them into first downs or touchdowns.
It hasn’t been that way this year, when it's been more of an unbrotherly shove. Have you noticed any outrage from the anti-tush push crowd toward the play this season now that the Eagles aren't as good at it? Of course not, especially after the Eagles failed to make it work on what may have been the game-defining play in a 24-15 loss to the Chicago Bears in the NFL’s standalone game on Black Friday.
It’s not that they failed to convert, it’s that Jalen Hurts fumbled away the ball.
“It sounds like it got knocked out when we were trying to push the pile forward,” said center Cam Jurgens. “I couldn’t really tell. You guys (reporters in the postgame locker room) probably have a better view from the TV cameras. I couldn’t really see how it got knocked out. We just have to be better. That’s not a play where we want to turn the ball over.”
Let’s backup a minute.
Jalyx Hunt had just picked off Chicago quarterback Caleb Williams. It was the outside linebacker/edge rusher’s second interception of the season, and he returned this one 11 yards to the Bears’ 36. It gave the Eagles the ball back with 6:36 to go in the third quarter.
Jalyx Hunt Gave Eagles A Chance To Take LeadEmpty heading

The Eagles’ offense had just scored its first touchdown of the game on their previous possession, moving 92 yards in 1:54, finishing with a 33-yard touchdown pass from Hurts to A.J. Brown.
Jake Elliott missed the PAT, so the Bears still led, but Philly’s deficit was just a point at 10-9. Then came Hunt’s pick followed by three straight runs from Saquon Barkley totaling 24 yards to Chicago’s 12.
From there, they faced third-and-one. Now, you could argue that they should have had a first down, but Barkley’s forward progress was ruled stopped a yard short, though he finished the run well inside the 10.
No, biggie. The tush push was coming. That’s when Hurts fumbled, and the Bears recovered. A chance to take the lead and the momentum was gone, lost in a dogpile of tangled players. The Bears essentially ended the game with a 12-play, 87-yard drive that took nearly seven minutes to score a touchdown, giving them a 17-9 lead with just over 12 minutes to play in the fourth quarter.
So, the refs stopped Barkley’s forward progress, but not Hurts’. Right or wrong, the turnover would never have happened last year. This year, it did.
“I was hoping that (his forward progress) was stopped, but it wasn't,” said Hurts. “It was kind of similar to the New York (Giants) game except that they just didn't blow the whistle as soon. That's not to point the finger at anyone else. I mean, I have to hold onto the ball. It definitely presents itself as an issue, and it always has. It's just never gotten us, and so (Friday) it got us, and it's something that we and I need to tighten up.”
Perhaps the NFL’s full-court press in the offseason to ban the play is inside the heads of players and coaches. Maybe it’s an offensive line with a center in Jurgens, who had offseason back surgery and an in-season knee injury and concussion. Or that Mekhi Becton’s mammoth frame is no longer manning the right guard spot.
Whatever it is, the Eagles should mothball it the rest of the season.
“It's becoming tougher and tougher,” said Hurts, “but ultimately, me holding onto the ball, that's something I can control.”
Jayson Tatum Provides Thrilling Injury Update to Boston Celtics Fans

Jayson Tatum was not the only player to tear his Achilles tendon in the 2025 NBA playoffs, although he might be the only one who returns in time for next season. Both Tyrese Haliburton and Damian Lillard have confirmed that they will take a year off to recover from the injury, although Tatum has not ruled out an early return, hoping he can lead the Boston Celtics to the playoffs.
Of course, most players take a calendar year to recover from such a devastating injury. The most famous exception is Kobe Bryant, who took eight months in 2013 to return.
Tatum has long cited Bryant as his biggest inspiration, so if he follows the same timeline, he should be back on the court by January.

GettyBOSTON, MASSACHUSETTS – MARCH 12: Jayson Tatum #0 of the Boston Celtics looks on before a game against the Oklahoma City Thunder at the TD Garden on March 12, 2025 in Boston, Massachusetts. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Brian Fluharty/Getty Images)
Jayson Tatum Provides Promising Injury Update
Some fans might encourage Tatum to take the season off, recover fully, and then return to action during the 2026-27 season when Derrick White and Jaylen Brown are both still in their prime.
No matter when he returns, the Celtics should emerge as Eastern Conference contenders, and he seems to have his sights set on sometime this season, refusing to rule out a speedy recovery.
“For me and my team, the doctor, the organization, the most important thing is making the full recovery,” he explained during the September 23 episode of TODAY With Jenna and Friends. “
Of course, if his recovery slows down or there is a high risk of reinjuring himself, fans can imagine that he will make the conservative choice and shut himself down for the season, although he has yet to make a definitive announcement.
“I have a goal in my mind,” Tatum added. “What I will say is I’m not working out, rehabbing six days a week for no reason.”